The Gothic quarter is a district of Barcelona, home to magnificent medieval buildings, there are several major monuments.
The history of the Gothic quarter is rooted in the very ancient times, in the times of Roman rule over Spain. After the collapse of the Roman Empire, the city, and with it quarter fell into decay, but only in order to blossom in the most glorious days of Catalonia when it was the Kingdom of Aragon. Most of the building dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The tumultuous events in the history of Catalonia and Spain in the following century and again could affect the safety of local attractions, but fortunately for the tourists. the block stood on their foundations firmly.
The sights of the Gothic quarter
In the neighborhood you can find a huge number of interesting medieval buildings and some buildings are real sights, a magnet for tourists. Continue reading
The Duomo Cathedral of Milan, bearing the name of Santa Maria Nascente. This Gothic Church was built for nearly six centuries, and today is the fifth largest Cathedral in the world and the largest in Italy. The Duomo is located on the place where once was the center of the Roman Mediolanum, – this is confirmed by the fact that modern streets either radiate from the Cathedral or surround it. Under the building of the Duomo you can see the early Christian baptistery, built in 335, the year, is one of the oldest Christian baptistery in Europe.
In 1386, the year Archbishop Antonio da Saluzzo began construction of the Cathedral, which coincided with the coming to power in Milan of Gian Galeazzo Visconti. The first architect was appointed Simone da Orsenigo, which planned to build the Cathedral in Lombard Gothic style. However, Visconti wanted to follow the fashion trends of European architecture, and therefore invited the French engineer Nicolas de Bonaventure, who added the style “rayonnant Gothic” – French style, not common in Italy. He also decided that the brick structure should be marble. In 1402, the year Jan, Galeazzo died – by this time the Cathedral was only half completed, and construction was frozen nearly to the end of the century. Continue reading
One of the main fortifications of ancient Chernihiv — the moat surrounding castle — discovered by archaeologists during excavations on the corner of Kirponos and the Black Prince in the regional center.
As the correspondent of UKRINFORM research fellow of the Institute of archaeology of NASU, candidate of historical Sciences Elena Chernenko, the existence of this ditch and its approximate location, the archaeologists have known for a long time. He was marked on maps of Chernihiv of the eighteenth century, since then still stood open. In 1803, during the General redevelopment of the city moat was filled in. Then it was razed to the ground and other defense facilities of the Chernihiv fortress: the moat that surrounded Detinet, and the ancient ramparts.
During excavations in the 70-80-ies of the last century archaeologists sometimes encountered on the edge of the ditch of Okolny castle, but to open it to full width and to explore properly managed for the first time. Continue reading