We live in a city where there are many buildings, whose history reminds us of the people, famed in Europe, the name Augsburg. When you don’t know pass by without much interest. But once you get to know that famous people lived here or even stayed, start to look different. We all come from childhood: drawn only to things that are of interest to us. And famous people is always interesting.
The house-Museum of Bertolt Brecht
Auf dem Rein 7
On the channel of the river Lech, in typical burgher house 16-17 centuries, February 10, 1898, was born the most famous of writers of Augsburg – Eugen Berthold Friedrich Brecht.
When the city was preparing to celebrate the centenary of rojdenia of their famous countryman, in 1985 to a goal in the building appeared a memorial plaque. But in 1898, there was opened an exposition devoted to Brecht. Since then, the figure of Brecht meets us already on the distant approaches to his house: close to Konigsplatz, on the descent leading from the town hall square. At the beginning of the Lower city. Brecht, is not recognized in my youth did not love his hometown, but the hometown of the likes of Brecht and the brand called “Bertolt Brecht” enriches the cultural life of Augsburg year after year.
Bleicht Ecke und Bertold-Brecht-Straße
North Oblatterwalles, Georg-Haindl-Strasse known European paper mill. She is now owned Finns, but it was previously a famous last name Heindl. Haindl Elizabeth, widow of the company founder Georg Heindl, built on Bleichstrasse 4 four identical buildings. She followed the example of the founders Thuggery, creating a factory in the district of Augsburg social complex. All apartments in these houses were the same, the front three rooms, a kitchen, a cellar and a small plot of garden beneath the window. Rents sostavlyala about a quarter of normal in the city. These houses were intended for workers and employees of a paper mill.
Father Bertolt Brecht was first servants, and then one of the managers of the factory. As an employee of the factory and one of the Trustees of social institutions, he lived in one of the social houses. About it now resembles a commemorative plaque.
The family of Brehov occupied the second floor and attic. Here Bertolt Brecht wrote his first works. In 1943, in exile in the U.S., Brecht remembered about this house in his poem “Ein Fruhjahrsabend in der Vorstadt”. He wrote about four houses straight out of the twilight, about working at dark tables in the courtyard, which the waitresses bring beer, talk about life – ordinary life, which became for a 45-year-old poet precious memories of childhood.
The house-Museum of Leopold Mozart.
Leopold Mozart (1719-1787), who was born in this house, known in Augsburg, not by himself, but as the father of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. This is what caused special interest in his behalf. Commemorative plaque on the building appeared in 1858. In 1937 the building there is a Museum, and in 1939 the company Hasen-Brau-AG, which then owned the building, gave it to the city. Since then, the Museum has occupied both floors, and citizens has grown accustomed to living in the city, which is associated with the name of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Vorder Lech 20
On the spot where now stands the house at Vorder Lech 20, to the destruction of February 1944 was the building that belonged to the famous dynasty of painters of Holbein. Here lived and Hans Holbein the Elder (1465 – 1524), and his two sons: Ambrosius (1494 – 1519) and Hans Holbein the Younger (1496 – 1543). It is Hans Holbein the Younger praised for his portraits of family Kolbanov all over Europe. He became in 1537 court painter of the English king Henry the Eighth. The paintings of Hans Holbein the Younger not only in European capitals but also in the Gallery of old masters in Augsburg and in the city’s Cathedral.
After the war, the house of Kolbanov restored, but, unfortunately, not in the form in which it was before. In 1996 the building was transferred to the Augsburg Association of artists. It regularly hosts exhibitions of contemporary artists. The art again returned to this house after almost 5 centuries.
In this house once lived the famous painter and draftsman Hans Burgmaier (1473 -1531). His best works can be seen in the Gallery of the old masters and in the Church of the monastery of St. Catherine: in Schaelzerpalais. Burgmeier paintings are appreciated all over the world, their subjects, composition and picturesque colours have enriched the artistic culture of the 16th century.
This house in the late 15th – early 16th century were in possession of the famous names of Welser. Now he’s part of Maximilianus, but a memorial plaque reminds of Valisere Bartholomay (1484-1561), the famous merchant and banker from an old patrician family.
Bartholomew Welser for 30 years was sole owner of the trade with Venezuela – a new Spanish colony, the country of gold mines and precious stones. That’s right he got along with his father, Anton Velterop, from the king of Spain in exchange for guarantees of revenue to the Spanish Treasury the huge sums of money annually. In those days kajdiy the third ship under the Spanish flag, sailed from Seville, belonged to Valsera. Only in 1556, the Spanish Council of the Indies cease, and then extremely favorable to Velizarov of the contract. Bartholomew Welzer not stood aside from the Affairs of the city in 1548 1556 he was a member of the patrician government of Augsburg.
Philippine-Welser-Strasse 18-20, heute Karstadt Sporthaus
In 1438, the brothers Ulrich and Jacob Fugger bought a complex of houses on Haymarket (now Philippine-Welser-Strasse) and Cold (now Annastrasse) markets. In this house was the famous “gold room” of the trade of the Empire of the Fuggers. When the famous family, this house became too small, kupelny were a few more houses on the Wine market.
In 1944, the house of Fuggers were completely destroyed. After the war they were restored, but not like before. Only two late-Gothic portal – on both sides of the house a reminder of the past. Here you can see the Lily family coat of arms of the Fuggers and clad in armor fuggerhouse lions. There are on the house and a memorial plaque, telling about its history.